Skip to main content

Illusions


“What is an illusion?” asked Rahul when he caught up with me during my stroll on the campus after dinner.  I was used to a lot of such questions from Rahul, one of my favourite students.

“Look at the sky,” I said.  A few stars were visible notwithstanding Delhi’s polluted skies.  “Do you think all those are real stars?”

“Aren’t they?”   Rahul was confused.  “We are seeing them.”

“Yes, we are seeing them.  Do you know how many years it takes for the light of a star to reach us here on the earth?”

“The light from the nearest star takes more than 4 light years,” said Rahul.

“Good,” I said.  “It takes many more years for the light from the other stars to reach us.  Many of the stars die by the time their light is seen by us here on the earth.  So how many of those stars are real?”

“Sir,” Rahul appeared slightly confused. “Are you suggesting that what is not real is an illusion.”

“Well, almost,” said I.  “But the light is real, isn’t it, even if the star is no more now?”

“So?”

“Imagine some human being who begins to trace the source of that light whose star is already dead.  Imagine he has some way of tracing the source.  And he finds that there really is no source.  Then he begins to interpret the light in his own way.  He thinks that it is a special light, a revelation from some divine entity, a revelation directed at him.  He begins to see himself as some God’s Messenger...”

“A godman?” asked Rahul.

“OK, let’s call him that.  Our Godman assumes that he is a prophet of god, a messiah of the people, or something like that.  He begins to hear god speaking to him.  He writes them down and calls it scriptures.  People come to listen to the new scriptures.  A religion or a cult is born.  It creates its own truths.  Thousands, if not millions, of people believe in those truths.  These truths create new rules like how we should wear our dress, which part of the body can be revealed and which to be covered, which are the places where people can kiss each other, whom to love and whom to hate, who can learn what and how much...”

“Sir, I’ve understood what illusions are,” said Rahul.  “Why do people accept the illusions so willingly and easily?”

“Illusions bring comfort in times of distress,” I said.  “It is easier to bear some loss in life or some misfortune if we believe that there is a divine entity sitting up somewhere there in the skies watching us and looking after us whatever misfortunes may befall us.”

“Is that the only use of illusions?”

“Not at all,” I said. “You can use illusions for gaining political power, higher positions in society, to become a godman or man-god, to seize other people’s land and other possessions...”

As Rahul walked away having thanked me and wished me good night, I looked at the stars once again.  “Tamaso ma jyotirgamaya.”  Did I hear them say that?  I smiled to myself.  Even if I did hear it, I wouldn’t be able to claim any new revelation.  Somebody had revealed that already long ago, some 3000 years ago.  3000 years of longing to be led from darkness to light.  A long longing, I mused.


PS. Rahul is an illusion.




Comments

  1. A very interesting of explaining things. I loved it.
    I knew about the facts of stars and their light, but never gave it much thought.
    From stars to illusions to religion... I had no idea where this was going as I read it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A foggy starless sky last night gave me these thoughts, Nimi.

      Delete
  2. Very interesting thought. We know these things but reflect rarely upon them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Illusions always seem much more real than reality. And there's a chance that the facts, on which we based the truth, are nothing but illusions.
    Great post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Illusions have become the reality, Kiran. And that's why there are terrorists.

      Delete
  4. What a creative post. I thoroughly enjoyed reading it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The reality makes me creative, Kalpanaa. Or is it the illusions? :)

      Delete
  5. [ Smiles ] An intriguing piece of writing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to see a comment from you after a long time, Renard. I think you don't like politics. Yet do we have an escape from it?

      Delete
  6. Twas creative and nicely written. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. The reference of Godmen and people following reference me to something PK film too tried to convey. Very nice post. My idea of illusion is a person's perception, what one perceives, has faith in and believes as real considers it real and rest all one considers as illusion.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have been asked to watch the movie PK by umpteen people already, Shweta. I will though I don't think I will benefit anything by it since I think Aamir Khan is not deep enough for India.

      Illusion is merely a matter of perception. And perception is exactly the problem with India now (and it has always been with people anywhere any time).

      Delete
  8. PS - Rahul is an illusion....I found myself smiling :) Brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
  9. and the GODMAN has made a MOVIE also now soon to hit the movie theaters for all of us to see .

    such a shame that this particular has millions of followers so the question is are these followers stupid or RIGHT..

    Illusion is what these people have created in our minds making sure we cant think straight at all, illusion of illusions is what we are seeing these days in our world sir ...

    Bikram's

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bikram, if i am to answer your question whether millions of people are stupid I think I'll have to answer in the affirmative. If the common person in India begins to exercise his/her reason there would be no godman in the country. Even the politics would be different. We wouldn't be fighting in the name of religions...

      Delete
  10. A very creative and interesting post. I thoroughly enjoyed reading it. To the illusions, you can add hallucinations to explain the godmen and their fervent believers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Godmen and politicians are joining hands now just like the nexus in the medieval Europe.

      Delete
  11. It is frightening to feel resurgence of shadow theocracy in a virulent form around the world.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When one group begins to assert itself other groups feel threatened and they too begin to assert themselves. The solution is tolerance and cooperation rather than self-assertion and imposition.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Pranita a perverted genius

Bulldozer begins its work at Sawan Pranita was a perverted genius. She had Machiavelli’s brain, Octavian’s relentlessness, and Levin’s intellectual calibre. She could have worked wonders if she wanted. She could have created a beautiful world around her. She had the potential. Yet she chose to be a ruthless exterminator. She came to Sawan Public School just to kill it. A religious cult called Radha Soami Satsang Beas [RSSB] had taken over the school from its owner who had never visited the school for over 20 years. This owner, a prominent entrepreneur with a gargantuan ego, had come to the conclusion that the morality of the school’s staff was deviating from the wavelengths determined by him. Moreover, his one foot was inching towards the grave. I was also told that there were some domestic noises which were grating against his patriarchal sensibilities. One holy solution for all these was to hand over the school and its enormous campus (nearly 20 acres of land on the outskirts

Machiavelli the Reverend

Let us go today , you and I, through certain miasmic streets. Nothing will be quite clear along our way because this journey is through some delusions and illusions. You will meet people wearing holy robes and talking about morality and virtues. Some of them will claim to be god’s men and some will make taller claims. Some of them are just amorphous. Invisible. But omnipotent. You can feel their power around you. On you. Oppressing you. Stifling you. Reverend Machiavelli is one such oppressive power. You will meet Franz Kafka somewhere along the way. Joseph K’s ghost will pass by. Remember Joseph K who was arrested one fine morning for a crime that nobody knew anything about? Neither Joseph nor the men who arrest him know why Joseph K is arrested. The power that keeps Joseph K under arrest is invisible. He cannot get answers to his valid questions from the visible agents of that power. He cannot explain himself to that power. Finally, he is taken to a quarry outside the town wher

Levin the good shepherd

AI-generated image The lost sheep and its redeemer form a pet motif in Christianity. Jesus portrayed himself as a good shepherd many times. He said that the good shepherd will leave his 99 sheep in order to bring the lost sheep back to the fold. When he finds the lost sheep, the shepherd is happier about that one sheep than about the 99, Jesus claimed. He was speaking metaphorically. The lost sheep is the sinner in Jesus’ parable. Sin is a departure from the ‘right’ way. Angels raise a toast in heaven whenever a sinner returns to the ‘right’ path [Luke 15:10]. A lot of Catholic priests I know carry some sort of a Redeemer complex in their souls. They love the sinner so much that they cannot rest until they make the angels of God run for their cups of joy. I have also been fortunate to have one such priest-friend whom I shall call Levin in this post. He has befriended me right from the year 1976 when I was a blundering adolescent and he was just one year older than me. He possesse

Kailasnath the Paradox

AI-generated illustration It wasn’t easy to discern whether he was a friend or merely an amused onlooker. He was my colleague at the college, though from another department. When my life had entered a slippery slope because of certain unresolved psychological problems, he didn’t choose to shun me as most others did. However, when he did condescend to join me in the college canteen sipping tea and smoking a cigarette, I wasn’t ever sure whether he was befriending me or mocking me. Kailasnath was a bundle of paradoxes. He appeared to be an alpha male, so self-assured and lord of all that he surveyed. Yet if you cared to observe deeply, you would find too many chinks in his armour. Beneath all those domineering words and gestures lay ample signs of frailty. The tall, elegantly slim and precisely erect stature would draw anyone’s attention quickly. Kailasnath was always attractively dressed though never unduly stylish. Everything about him exuded an air of chic confidence. But the wa

Nakulan the Outcast

Nakulan was one of the many tenants of Hevendrea . A professor in the botany department of the North Eastern Hill University, he was a very lovable person. Some sense of inferiority complex that came from his caste status made him scoff the very idea of his lovability. He lived with his wife and three children in one of Heavendrea’s many cottages. When he wanted to have a drink, he would walk over to my hut. We sipped our whiskies and discussed Shillong’s intriguing politics or something of the sort while my cassette player crooned gently in the background. Nakulan was more than ten years my senior by age. He taught a subject which had never aroused my interest at any stage of my life. It made no difference to me whether a leaf was pinnately compound or palmately compound. You don’t need to know about anther and stigma in order to understand a flower. My friend Levin would have ascribed my lack of interest in Nakulan’s subject to my egomania. I always thought that Nakulan lived