Skip to main content

Monks and Exiles


Entrance to Namdroling Monastery
Bylakuppe near Kodagu in Karnataka is a little Tibet.  In 1960, the government of Mysore (now Karnataka) allotted about 3000 acres of land to the Tibetan refugees.  Today nearly 70,000 people of Tibetan origin live in that place which attracts a lot of tourists.

The Namdroling Nyingmapa Monastery is one of the attractions.  Established in 1963 by Drubwang Padma Norbu Rinpoche, the monastery educates hundreds of monks who graduate after a ten-year course which includes a three-year period of spiritual retreat. 

Inside the Golden Temple
The Nyingma tradition is the oldest of the four major schools of Tibetan Buddhism.  It is founded on the first translations of Buddhist scriptures from Sanskrit into old Tibetan language carried out in the 8th century CE.  The Tibetan alphabet and grammar were created just for this endeavour, according to certain traditions.

One of the plaques inside the Golden Temple attached to the monastery says that the original Guru Rinpoche was the second Buddha.  The Guru was born “twelve years” after the Buddha’s death, according to the plaque though, I think, it should be “twelve centuries” since the Guru lived in the 8th century CE. 

A view of the monastery and the temple
While Lord Buddha’s statue which is 60 feet in height occupies the central position in the Golden Temple, Guru Rinpoche’s statue on one side is 58 feet tall.  The other statue which is exactly as tall as Rinpoche’s is that of Buddha Amitayus, according to the plaque.  All three statues are made of copper and plated with gold.  Inside the statues are many hidden secrets such as “scriptures, relics of great beings, small clay mould stupas, and small statues which symbolise the body, speech and mind of the Buddha.”  The plaque goes on to say that “Seeing these statues, venerating them, circumambulating and making offering to them generates faith, peace, wisdom, loving kindness and compassion in our minds and cleanses unwholesome thoughts and actions.”

Two little monks
The prayers of the monks in the monastery may remind you of some tantric recitations.  There is something magical about the very sound of the chanting which is accompanied by sounds of an enormous gong and apparently a stringed instrument whose vibration penetrates into your soul.

However, I couldn’t notice anything otherworldly on the faces of the monks I came across.  They looked melancholic.  The little monks, students of monkhood, looked like anachronisms walking with uncertain footsteps.  When a few of my students invited the little monks for some snaps, they looked utterly confused.  They posed for the snaps with hesitant longing while throwing furtive glances around as if to make sure that they were not being watched by senior monks.  Are they becoming monks because they have no other option?  The question sprang in my sceptical mind again and again.

Shopping Complex
Outside the monastery is an enormous shopping complex run by Tibetans.  They sell a wide variety of things like apparels, caps, woollen garments, bags, handicraft items, food items, and so on.  But none of the shopkeepers looked eager to sell anything. They just tell you the prices with the stoic indifference of the monks I saw in the monastery.  You buy the goods or don’t, it seems to matter little to them.  But I was delighted to watch one of those women who snatched a toy gun from her little son who was playing in front of their shop.  She held it as far away from her as possible, averted her eyes, and pulled the trigger.  Nothing happened.  The little boy taught her how to do it.  He didn’t hold the gun far from him.  He was not afraid of the paper crackers which produced sounds slightly higher than the cracking of knuckles.  But the mother held the gun far away again.  But the crackers burst this time.  And she laughed like a little child.  That laugh remains in my heart as one of the most pleasant sights I had in the little Tibet in Karnataka. 

What made these people so indifferent?  I wondered.  Is it their religion?  Is it the esotericism of that great Guru’s teachings?  Or is it the exile? 

Or is the indifference merely a mask put up before the thousands of tourists who hang around the place marking a stark contrast to the place’s quintessential spirit?

PS. I visited the place on 31 Oct 2016 along with a group of students of mine.

Some of the students and two teachers
in front of the Golden Temple



Indian Bloggers


Comments

  1. It may be their religion and exile. More than that, it could be their origin from the hilly and the hard terrain. This Little Tibet is worth a visit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Worth a visit, yes. It's something quite different from what we are used to. Sikkim has such monasteries.

      Delete
  2. This is a very colourful and beautiful place.

    ReplyDelete
  3. नोटबंदी के बाद डिजिटल पेमेंट पर जोर, जानें क्या है डिजिटल पेमेंट
    Readmore Todaynews18.com https://goo.gl/BgzxC9

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Adventures of Toto as a comic strip

  'The Adventures of Toto' is an amusing story by Ruskin Bond. It is prescribed as a lesson in CBSE's English course for class 9. Maggie asked her students to do a project on some of the lessons and Femi George's work is what I would like to present here. Femi converted the story into a beautiful comic strip. Her work will speak for itself and let me present it below.  Femi George Student of Carmel Public School, Vazhakulam, Kerala Similar post: The Little Girl

Yesterday

With students of Carmel Margaret, are you grieving / Over Goldengrove unleaving…? It was one of my first days in the eleventh class of Carmel Public School in Kerala, the last school of my teaching career. One girl, whose name was not Margaret, was in the class looking extremely melancholy. I had noticed her for a few days. I didn’t know how to put the matter over to her. I had already told the students that a smiling face was a rule in the English class. Since Margaret didn’t comply, I chose to drag Hopkins in. I replaced the name of Margaret with the girl’s actual name, however, when I quoted the lines. Margaret is a little girl in the Hopkins poem. Looking at autumn’s falling leaves, Margaret is saddened by the fact of life’s inevitable degeneration. The leaves have to turn yellow and eventually fall. And decay. The poet tells her that she has no choice but accept certain inevitabilities of life. Sorrow is our legacy, Margaret , I said to Margaret’s alter ego in my class. Let

Sanjay and other loyalists

AI-generated illustration Some people, especially those in politics, behave as if they are too great to have any contact with the ordinary folk. And they can get on with whoever comes to power on top irrespective of their ideologies and principles. Sanjay was one such person. He occupied some high places in Sawan school [see previous posts, especially P and Q ] merely because he knew how to play his cards more dexterously than ordinary politicians. Whoever came as principal, Sanjay would be there in the elite circle. He seemed to hold most people in contempt. His respect was reserved for the gentry. I belonged to the margins of Sawan society, in Sanjay’s assessment. So we hardly talked to each other. Looking back, I find it quite ludicrous to realise that Sanjay and I lived on the same campus 24x7 for a decade and a half without ever talking to each other except for official purposes.      Towards the end of our coexistence, Sawan had become a veritable hell. Power supply to the

Thomas the Saint

AI-generated image His full name was Thomas Augustine. He was a Catholic priest. I knew him for a rather short period of my life. When I lived one whole year in the same institution with him, I was just 15 years old. I was a trainee for priesthood and he was many years my senior. We both lived in Don Bosco school and seminary at a place called Tirupattur in Tamil Nadu. He was in charge of a group of boys like me. Thomas had little to do with me directly as I was under the care of another in-charge. But his self-effacing ways and angelic smile drew me to him. He was a living saint all the years I knew him later. When he became a priest and was in charge of a section of a Don Bosco institution in Kochi, I met him again and his ways hadn’t changed an iota. You’d think he was a reincarnation of Jesus if you met him personally. You won’t be able to meet him anymore. He passed away a few years ago. One of the persons whom I won’t ever forget, can’t forget as long as the neurons continu

William and the autumn of life

William and I were together only for one year, but our friendship has grown stronger year after year. The duration of that friendship is going to hit half a century. In the meanwhile both he and I changed many places. William was in Kerala when I was in Shillong. He was in Ireland when I was in Delhi. Now I am in Kerala where William is planning to migrate back. We were both novices of a religious congregation for one year at Kotagiri in Tamil Nadu. He was older than me by a few years and far more mature too. But we shared a cordial rapport which kept us in touch though we went in unexpected directions later. William’s conversations had the same pattern back then and now too. I’d call it Socratic. He questions a lot of things that you say with the intention of getting to the depth of the matter. The last conversation I had with him was when I decided to stop teaching. I mention this as an example of my conversations with William. “You are a good teacher. Why do you want to stop